The Athena Multi-messenger and High Energy Astrophysics Synergy
November 27 - 29, 2018, Alicante, Spain
The workshop focusses on identifying and developing potential scientific synergies between the Athena X-ray observatory mission (ESA) and Gravitational Waves, neutrinos, high energy and Gamma Ray Burst (GW/v’s/HE/GRB) facilities that will be operational contemporary to Athena. The goal is to produce a White Paper that should address the scientific topics where the synergetic use of Athena and the key multimessenger facilities operating at the end of this decade will result in a scientific added value.
The scope of the meeting is to:
- a) Review the scientific topics and identify the workplan needed to consolidate and advance the scientific case. Identify additional experts if needs be.
- b) Outline the operational scenario to successfully implement the synergy science goals with the performances predicted at the end of this decade . Identify the needs to access or get inputs from Athena to achieve a science goal or drive an observation from a given facility and the needs to get inputs from or access that facility to achieve a science goal or drive Athena observations.
- c) Define the Table of Content of the WP and plan for its preparation
- d) Outline a multi-facility synergy case for relevant science topics
Preliminary List of participants (TBC)
D. Barret Athena X-IFU PI
L. Amati Theseus representative
D. Burrows Athena expert for transients (A/Theseus synergy)
F. Carrera Athena Community Office: support
M. Colpi LISA representative
D. Dornic KM3NET representative
A. Fabian Athena representative for A/LISA synergy
M. Guainazzi Athena Study Scientist
P. Jonker Athena representative for ground-based GW synergy
P. McNamara LISA Study Scientist
P’. O’Brien Athena & Theseus representative
J. Osborne Theseus expert for A/Theseus synergy
S. Martinez Athena Community Office: support
R. Mignani Athena expert for v’s and CTA synergy
P. Padovani Expert for v’s synergy
L. Piro Chair
A. Rau Athena expert for transients (A/Theseus synergy)
E. Rossi LISA expert
N. Tanvir LISA representative
J.M. Torrejon LOC organizer (AHEAD)
E. Troja AThena representative for ground-based GW synergy
J. Vink Athena representative for v’s and CTA synergy
M. Ahlers IceCube
27/11 14.00-18.30. Session 1: Scope of the meeting/ Athena GW (ground) session
- Welcome : J. M. Torrejon
- Introduction and scope of the meeting : L. Piro
- Athena science and capabilities relevant to Multimessenger: M. Guainazzi
- LIGO/Virgo and GW ground facilities: science and capabilities for EM follow-up: TBD
- Athena and NS-NS/ NS-BH GW counterparts : E. Troja
- Athena and CC SNe and SGRS GW counterparts: P. Jonker
- coffee break (30 min)
- other science cases/topics potentially relevant to EM follow-up, w.p.r.t X-rays
- discussion: operational scenario, consolidated list of topics, additional expertize, define the workplan
NS- merger (populations studies, new X-ray components with Athena, orphan afterglows with Athena)
BH-BH merger (Primordial BH? Significant constituent of DM? any significant prediction on EM counterpart?)
CC supernovae (if asymmetric)
28/11 9.00-13.00 Session 2: Athena-LISA
LISA science and capabilities relevant to EM follow-up : P. Mc Namara
SMBBH case: predictions on the EM counterpart from optical to X-rays: M. Colpi
SMBBH: observational strategies for identifying counterparts (vs the variable sky): N. Tanvir
Discussion on SMBBH A-L synergy: A. Fabian
other science cases/topics potentially relevant to EM follow-up, w.p.r.t X-rays : E. Rossi
discussion: operational scenario, consolidated list of topics, additional expertize, define the workplan
SMBH mergers: X-ray emission from AD. if/when the AD forms. Error box/rates/X-ray fluxes. Would X-ray localization more effective that optical/IR?
WD-WD and other galactic binaries during spiral in
TDE-like accretion of stars on BH
28/11: 14.30-19.00 Session 3: Athena- Theseus and the transient sky
- Theseus capabilities and science relevant to Athena : L. Amati
- high-z GRBs: Athena and Theseus: P.O’Brien
- WHIM with GRBs : L. Piro
- The transient sky with Athena/WFI (and Theseus): A.Rau/D. Burrows
- Coffee break
- other science cases/topics: J. Osborne
- Operational scenario: M. Guainazzi
- discussion: consolidate list of topics and define the workplan
Athena providing triggers for Theseus Infrared telescope for follow-up of transients found in the WFI.
Cross Calibration of Theseus/Lobster instrument on Athena sources.
Simultaneous Athena/Theseus for broad band observations of relatively bright sources
28/11: 20.30 Workshop dinner.
29/11: 9.00- 13.00 Session 4: Athena & v’s (KM3NET, ICECUBE), & CTA
CTA and multimessenger : TBD
v’s from KM3NET and multimessenger: D. Dornic
Acceleration sites in the Universe: v’s, VHE and X-ray synergy: J. Vink
Blazars and jet: P. Padovani
PWN: R. Mignani
other science cases/topics
discussion: consolidate list of topics, addnl expertize and workplan
- Sne (v’s from CC)
- Clusters as CR reservoirs
29/11 14.00-15.30: Session 5: multi-mission synergies; plan for WP
Synergies across the board (30 min)
WP TOC and workplan (45 min)
Conclusions (15 min)
Network connection will be provided via eduroam. Please install the required certificates in your computers. If you are not able to install eduroam let us know well in advance.
University of Alicante Campus, San Vicente del Raspeig, Building "Germán Bernácer", Main Lecture room (downstairs).
The most convenient way to reach the campus, from the Alicante Airport, is by Taxi (around 15 min, 20-25 Euro, licensed taxis line up just at the exit door). The Alicante Airport is served by a number of companies with direct flights from many european cities.
Coffe breaks and lunch will be provided at the venue.
Wednesday 28, Workshop dinner at the Ocean Race Restaurant
Alicante has a wide offer of hotels. We can recommend the following:
The Villa Universitaria is conveniently located at walking distance (12 min) from the Workshop venue. Ask for the Suites. Although it is an student's lodging, its Suites are used as well by many senior visitors. Offers meal service.
Hotel Eurostars Lucentum. It is located in Alicante downtown, in front of the old food Central Marquet. The University of Alicante Campus can be reached by the Tram (27 min), using Line 2, with a train every 15 minutes or by Taxi (15 min, 15 Euro).
Hotel Porta Maris. Next to the sea. To reach University of Alicante Campus there are two options: a) walk to Hotel Eurostars Lucentum and then take the Tram (as above), or b) take a taxi.
A limited amount of money is available to support travel and lodging expenses, upon request.
J. M. Torrejón (Chair), C. Ordoñez, G. Bernabéu, J.J. Rodes-Roca, M. Martinez-Chicharro
For any question regarding logistics, please write to
Ahead_school@csidiomas.ua.es with the subject AMHEAS